Friday 23 December 2011

Apamea

Apamea was a special place for all the family and especially Fawaz as he spent much of his childhood playing with his friends amidst the historical ruins. The corridor of classical fluted columns was a familiar backdrop for our Spring and Autumn excursions. Observing the occassional group of tourists meandering along the ancient stone passageway that formed the Cardo Maximus, which was originally 2km long and the main thoroughfare through the city, was an enjoyable past time. Secretly, I wished to hear them speak in English but the predominant languages spoken were French, German or Dutch. I identified with the beauty and history of the once bustling Apamea, more so, than the village of Skelbieh because in years 11 and 12 I studied the history of ancient art of Mesopotamia and the Middle East. Collecting art history books was a passion since I was in primary school and would receive them for birthday and Christmas presents. I even spent the money I had saved to buy my year 12 school formal dress, on a book of etchings and paintings by the German artist Albrecht Durer(1471-1528).
Apamea was my landscape for my dreaming and my soul. When times were tough and I was lonely for the companionship of old friends I found solace in the beauty and history of the lost city.

page 50













No comments: